Getting Started is Easy!
Broadcaster Requirements for Live Streaming
Download a PDF of this information.
Acquire the audio or video and be responsible for copyright and royalty-related compliance. See our page on Digital Rights Compliance for Internet Broadcasting.
A Dedicated PC (Minimum Requirements)
YOU CANNOT USE A MAC OR WINDOWS VISTA.
Windows XP - no longer supported by Microsoft, use at your own risk
- 32 bit Pentium IV or better running at least 2.8 GHz
- 1 GB of RAM or more
Windows 7 or 8 (or 8.1)
- 32 or 64 bit processor running at least 3.0 GHz
- 2 GB of RAM memory (4GB preferred)
- Please turn User Access Control off and reboot prior to the scheduled setup
- On Windows 7 you should also set the Windows theme to Windows Classic or Windows 7 Basic
- Our software and automation connections have not yet been tested on Windows 10.
- If you are running more than one stream per computer, the computer will need a sound card for each stream and the above specs will need to be increased. Please ask us to provide you with customized requirements.
- We recommend using anti-virus software however you may need to allow our software or add it to the exception list(s).
- If you will be archiving, we recommend at least 250GB of free space on your hard drive.
- Please set the computer’s Power Options to NEVER Sleep and check the settings for Automatic Updates.
We strongly recommend a dedicated high speed internet connection for streaming. For normal bit rate audio streams you need a consistent 200kbps per stream UPLOAD speed. If you would like a higher bit rate this speed will increase accordingly. If your streaming computer is not on a dedicated Internet connection you will need more upload speed.
Your automation system MUST be connected to the streaming computer if you will be doing Sound Exchange reporting, Ad Replacement, or displaying Artist and Title. In most cases they will connect over your LAN, therefore the streaming computer should have a static internal IP address. If the computers are on separate sub-nets you may need a second network card in the streaming computer.
If you need to connect over serial, use a null modem cable less than 50’ long. (Keep that in mind when selecting a location for your streaming computer.)
We have a document with sample data strings required for each system we work with. Please ask if you need a copy.
The remote access programs we typically use are TeamViewer, LogMeIn, or UltraVNC. If you are unsure how to install, we can go through the installation during your scheduled setup.
Please be sure the streaming setup is done on the computer’s Administrator account. You will need to use this account to run the streaming as well. We cannot setup on one account and then run on another account.
- Put a “Listen Live” button on your web site – we give you the code for the button – it’s very easy to set up
- You may want to include a link to playerinfo @ surfernetwork.com. This email account is for listeners that are having trouble with the stream. This will also help us track any recurring problems.